Monday, March 31, 2008

#75. grow hair for 6 weeks

What an absolute travesty. I only made it to five weeks, but I wasn't going to go any further with this one.

I started to noticeably bald when I was about 21 or so. That was premature, but I went with it for a while. I kept my hair short at that point anyhow and that masked it for some time. Eventually even that didn't do enough and I figured I might as well take it all the way down and shave it off.

Two points of note, here. First, I never had good hair. I never knew how to do cool things with it. Or even uncool things, really. Second, I started shaving it when I moved to a new city where I didn't speak the common language and didn't want to find a new cheap place that also spoke English. That new city also meant I couldn't afford anything anyhow, other than a pair of clippers.

So I shaved it off. I would've been a few months short of 23. It was great. For the first time in my life I had a semi-consistent "look". I did it with the expectation that by the time I was in my late 20s I would be old enough and bald enough to keep it short and just be a balding guy. No big deal, no shame in that.

Now here I am in my late 20s and want to give the late 20s/early 30s comfortable-enough-with-himself to be obviously balding a shot. Well, I'm old enough but not bald enough. It was patchy. It was uneven. It felt unclean. I looked like I had mange.

So I shaved it off (again). Maybe when I'm looking at 35.

No comments: