Tuesday, October 21, 2008

#85. go to Montreal (if only for a weekend)

I went to Montreal twice, but only once for fun. The now-wife was there and it was absolutely great. It's weird going back to a place you lived in. It wasn't quite like walking through the neighbourhood you grew up in; the city is still the same size and the sites are similar, but it was a strange mix of feeling at home and a guest at the same time.

To heighten that weirdness I even went back to our old neighbourhood; even the grocery store we used to scrounge by on $40-$60/week at. We also went and checked out the new condos at the end of our old street and some of the new stores around.

I would love to move back there. I would love to regain the feeling totally at home there. I would love to live in that city on more than $16k a year. There are so many things at your disposal. Alas, practicality has to rule the day.

Of course, mastering French is somewhere on this list...

No comments: