Friday, November 12, 2010

#21. research and donate to worthy cause

This is simultaneously harder and easier than I thought it would be. A one-time donation was easy. Someone I knew was part of a really worthy project and - bam - there's your worthy cause. But I find it really difficult to find something I believe in enough to set up a recurring donation. I find a lot of idealogically unsound things in most organizations and I think one of my defining characteristics (even if it's not one that I particularly like, objectively) is the unwillingness to associate with people with whom I disagree.

When I step back on things it often looks like I'm throwing the baby out with the bathwater, but I see donating to idealogically flawed groups some sort of approval and even encouragement to perpetuate that. Maybe I'm taking myself and my fifty dollar donation too seriously. That's probably it.

No comments: